There is no such thing as a lifetime career any more. The world of work is now much more fluid than it was before. The lines have certainly been blurred. Gone are the days of jobs for life where you did your time and left with a secure Glaring pension to enjoy retirement with no Argument. You now need to take responsibility for your job security and the management of your career. Make sure you discover and use your internal resources and take a self-directing approach.
Reinventing yourself is something that you must keep doing. Dr. Robert Davies offered good advice on 10 key points to success.
- Focus on your personal development. Spend some time thinking about the competencies. What are the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to survive in this era.
Always have a driving vision. Consider these 3 components:
- Have clear mental picture of the person that you want to be.
- A clear development agenda to help you get there
- A clear definition of the contribution you want to make to society.
- Schedule a reinvention exercise for yourself every 3 years. Change with the times and avoid becoming obsolete.
- Make a commitment to learn something notable each month. If you are not learning something is wrong with the way you are managing your job and yourself.
- Be concerned if you don’t make any mistakes. This is not for you to go out and deliberately make mistakes. But if you are not making mistakes, you are not doing anything different. Treat failure as a learning experience and a platform to start a new chapter.
- Never accept mainstream popular thinking without challenging it in your mind . Carve out time to challenge, research, and think differently.
- Be confident. Never let anyone take that from you. But be quietly incompetent.
- Keep an achievement diary. How has your work benefited others? Maintain an updated Resume.
- Invest in your network.
- Help others. Remember there will be a time when you yourself will also need help.
Need help? Let’s connect!
2 thoughts on “Reinvent Yourself: 10 Key Points for Success”
This is very helpful.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on Success Strategies.