If I had planned my life, it never would have ended up like this. So maybe it’s kind of fun not to plan. Maybe it’s more fun just to see where life takes you. ~Joanna Gaines
In a relationship, dreams may differ. In a striving organization, dreams may differ. On a professional team, siblings growing up together…in all these scenarios, dreams may differ. Each person has his/her own goals and objectives which contributes positively to the end result. Negatively? Not so.
Let’s consider Marie and Alex, both managers who are working on a marketing project to achieve their department’s goal. Marie wants the project to succeed because she has her eyes on that coveted promotion. Alex wants to succeed because his family is growing and he’s hoping to get that mega increase to move into a bigger space to suit his family’s needs.
Goals Should Align
Goals should align though. How we get there may differ but they should align.
But as Joanna said … be open. Plan it but let it flow in whichever direction it chooses. You’ll get there if you don’t give up
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
A sprint. A jog. A run. A walk. I sat on a bench in the park stretching. I watched health and fitness enthusiasts do what they love. I stretched more, then reflected on life. Where are we now? The tethered years fly by …up close slowly; looking back, it’s a flash. I then began scrolling, and there popped the question from a social media forum:
Describe Your Life in ONE Word
Curious, I scrolled through the list of responses. Some were positive, some nonchalant, while others were filled with a bask of the negatives. Here I share a few of the comments:
- Open Book
Does any of the above responses resonate with your life right now? Can you add any that’s missing? Do share. We would love to hear!
I. Love. The Holidays.
The hustle and bustle of the season. Families come together. The air is different. Nature speaks. Music and lights sounds in sweet accord. Travel soars. Food Galore. Delightful Gifts drolls stress for those in retail yet brings smiles as currencies are exchanged for sales. The beauty of the season can be seen through eyes of purpose.
Yep. It’s ￼Christmas and I. Love. The Holidays!
The Only Limit To Our Realization Of Tomorrow Will Be Our Doubts Of Today. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Music, passion, travel, the rain some shared. Once a staff member fell seriously ill. Apparently she hid it from most but as it progressed, it became more evident. Word finally reached me in my role as HR. That was when I called to tell her of the concerns raised by her co-workers. It was then that she shared her situation. It was grave… with a crescendo of physical issues, she wouldn’t survive. I immediately jumped into action-mode to assist in the best way that I could.
In reflecting on the question “What Inspires you?” I realized that what inspires me is the ability to make a difference in the lives of others. Helping others inspires gratification. Here I share a brief synopsis from the perspective response of what inspires others.
- The random people I meet and the random conversations that take place. It’s incredible what inspiration you can find from genuinely listening to people’s stories.
- Lemon drops or just candy in general. Also pieces of jewelry but mostly necklaces. I have this sea glass necklace that’s inspired 2 stories already. If anyone needs inspiration I would suggest going downtown and just walk around and look at stuff.
- Music lyrics inspire me. Sometimes a certain sentence just sticks. Travel and nature and of course experiences .
- Daily things around me.
- Mythical creatures, music, horror stories/movies, different people I meet and talk with.
- Sparking a love of reading in kids and young adults.
- Lines of Shakespeare and Emerson. Walking in nature. Autumn and Winter inspire with the scenery and feelings they give me…old things, antique shops, bookstores, leather-bound journals, maps, Fall evenings.
- My friends, music, books, scented candles, and history
- The inner and outer universe.
- I find what if questions to be really useful.
- Love and how it compels people like Rose looking for Jack at the bottom of the ship while its sinking. That’s love.
- My weird perceptions of human nature and civilization
- Pictures, people, and most of all moments in time.
- Rain, grey skies, other art and gardens. Sometimes cats, animations or music
- Everything. There is beauty and inspiration in all different things in life
- Sound. the way you pour water into a glass, sons, the sound of the wind, the rain
- Music, love, sadness
- Struggle. Finding light in darkness
- Stephen King
- Current events
- Humans and their flaws
- Reading. Going to the bookstore.
- Button poetry
- Sweet misery
- Ice cream and rainy days
- I think nature. Happiness inspire me and says do something different for others.
- Philosophy and knowledge
- Fear of failure
- Anything creative
- Strange occurrences
What about you? What inspires you? Do share…we would love to hear!
I was flying out of the Fort Lauderdale International airport to Washington DC for a conference when I heard the familiar voice of Broward County’s newly appointed Mayor VC Holness announcing welcome to visitors. Mayor Holness made history recently when he was unanimously voted to become the first Black Mayor to lead the county. Indeed an achievement.
Success Strategies Research
Personally I extend my own congratulations because years ago when I conducted my research on Success Strategies of Caribbean American Leaders in the United States with Nova Southeastern University, Mayor Holness quite willingly agreed to participate in the phenomenalogical study. At the time he was Commissioner. In the research he shared the strategies he used to become successful as well as the challenges encountered along the way.
Regardless of how we feel about politics, his appointment signifies a goal he went after and achieved.
Mayor Holness continues to strive. To work hard to show those who wish to achieve that it can be done through hard work and dedication.
More of his story as well as those of other industry leaders in healthcare, aviation, education, media and more can be read in the book Success Strategies of Immigrant Leaders In The United States.
Thanks again Mayor VC Holness for your willingness to go beyond the call of duty to share your experience to benefit rising millennial leaders.
As life evolves, keep up. ~Patricia Chin
I had the pleasure of sitting in on an intimate conversation with Reggae Music’s Matriarch Patricia Chin in an interview with G. Cole, as she celebrated 40 years of founding VP Records. She has promoted and released music for renowned artists the likes of Shaggy, Sean Paul, Beenie Man, Beres Hammond, Taurus Riley, Romain Virgo, Etana, Elephant Man, Morgan Heritage, Lady Saw, Freddie McGregor, Dennis Brown and many more. Taking Reggae music from unknown to where it is today, she shared tips on how entrepreneurs and goal-seekers can achieve Success in today’s fast changing world. Here I share 24 of my personal faves:
24 Inspiring Tips For New Entrepreneurs
- As life evolves, keep up. There’s opportunity for everyone.
- Think outside the box – do what others aren’t doing
- Always think of new ideas
- Get into the full circle of business
- Listen to the customer
- Collaborate.Create partnerships. Help others
- Think of market needs and how can you help meet those needs
- Teach as you go along
- Sometimes it’s not the right time. Be patient. Wait.
- Continuous learning. Unlearn. Relearn. Just learn. Grow
- The journey is hard but if you stick with it and have a passion you can make it
- Competition is good.
- Keep striving and try to do the best you can and you will make it
- Do what you must. Learn. If you can’t speak the language find another way to communicate
- There’s enough for everyone if we do it right
- Let no one stop you. Go after what you want.
- Have passion and a goal
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- Surround yourself with positive people
In her line of business Pat Chin summarized that her greatest achievement was watching her artists evolve to stardom and notoriety. In her words “Music never dies. The sweetness is there still”.
From the list above, what works for you? Do share. We would love to hear.
Just love the holidays! Absolutely love the holidays! The air is different. The spirit of Christmas is evident. Family, laughter, fun, and cheer fills the atmosphere. Lights everywhere brightens the sky ushering the spirit of the season. Not to mention the gifts; the fun; the parties and so much more.
Though I write and it brings me joy, there’s nothing like a good movie. I’m not talking the hallmark type where we can predict the end. It’s always the ideal ending. I’m talking real entertainment. Fun times with the family. Here I share 11 epic holiday movies.
- A Christmas Story
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas
- Home Alone
- The Holiday
- A Christmas Carol
- This Christmas
- Jingle All The Way
- Christmas With The Kranks
- The Family Stone
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Die Hard
Curl up with popcorn, your favorite blanket, dog or your love and enjoy the delight of these unforgettable holiday movies.
From the list, how many have you seen? Any missing? Add your fav.
Get your copy of book GreenLight and start planning for your holiday gift list.