Goals. Have Faith. Have Courage. Be Strong. Never Give Up. What will seem like in the Blink of an eye, you will achieve. So keep going.
It’s Definitely a Tough Blow to be Fired
A colleague received a call that her mom had to undergo emergency surgery due to an injury. By the time she got to the hospital, the leg had to be removed. Naturally, this was a Shock as her life was immediately turned upside down. She had no choice but to voluntarily resign from her position to be by her mom’s side. She had to be there to assist in any way she could. That was her voluntary decision.
You may not have had the choice. Things happen. You lose your job because of restructuring, organization change, personal issues, and more. All involuntarily. You’re sad. Filled with remorse, and totally depressed.
Don’t get stuck. Take hold of your situation and learn the strategies to:
- Rebuild your Public Profile (Resume, LinkedIn, etc)
- Develop a Success Mindset
- Match The Right Job for you
- Learn Search Strategies
When life throws you lemons, make lemonade. That’s the saying, and its true. When things stand still…move. Do what you can to get back on your feet. It’s called life…things happen. Don’t let it get you down. Get the courage, the strength. Force yourself to stand up and do something about it.
Need help? Let’s Connect!
No, don’t do it by email.
George approached his manager asking for a raise. Said he had been with the company for years and was in dire need, unable to meet his personal expenses. He just had a child and threatened that he would resign if it was received.
Sounds familiar? At times many find themselves searching for that Loophole to earn extra cash to supplement their disposable income to do the things you would like to do. Things such as get married; buy your first place; get a larger home for your new and growing family; or simply to getaway on that dream vacation.
But accomplishing these goals is not as easy as most would like. It is then that creativity jumps in as I shared in a recent article on 20 Ways to Earn Extra Income. In that article I promised to share the how to ask your boss for a raise (yikes!). But while this method of increasing your income is upfront, and center (basically right under your nose), it’s not the easiest for us to do. We get nervous, shake, get angry, scared, have sleepless nights, all in our efforts to come up with the most plausible reason why we deserve the salary/rate increase .
15 Ways To Ask For A Raise
Having managed Human Resources internationally for over two decades dealing with issues like this, I’ll share a few pointers on how to do it ‘right‘. How to Evoke the response that will not remain Static with your employer, boss, supervisor–whichever pertains to you.
Here I share:
- Prepare yourself for the ask.
- Timing is everything.
- Consider your company’s policy on salary reviews.
- Evaluate the financial situation of your employer.
- Take on more responsibility.
- Demonstrate your wins, and added values
- Share your goals and ask for feedback
- Request a face to face meeting. If you’re in a different location, use your internal communication channel. Whatever you do, don’t do the initial ask by email.
- Focus on the ‘why‘ not the ‘need’. Why you deserve the increase (not why you need it)
- Practice your pitch and anticipate questions
- Don’t use other colleagues as your argument (he/she received an increase and so should you). That’s the worse thing you can do.
- Don’t discuss workload
- Do your research…know what the market pays
- No, no, no. Be prepared to hear no. It happens. Decide to ask for other things such as bonus, incentives, or personal development opportunities. Be confident that once you’ve asked, you’ve taken that giant step and the request stays in your boss’ mind.
- Never threaten that you will resign.
Still afraid? Have questions? Let’s connect
A Goal is defined as the object of a person’s ambition or effort, an aim or desired result.
Dreams, goals, aspirations! Don’t we all have them? At the end of each year most reflect on where they are, and where they wish to go. Here I share millenials thoughts on what they hope to achieve in 2018.
- Creating the most epic new job that is aligned with my soul
- Professional and personal ventures
- Jump into my authentic self and apply for a dream role that will involve more if I am chosen
- Starting a therapeutic farm
- Jump into success
- Jump into adventure
- Jump into independence
- Publish great original writing
- Start strategy and marketing consulting business
- Jump into God’s plan for my life in 2018
- Finding and developing a career that impact the lives of others that inspires me to learn
- A new life
- More me-time and more international travel
- Jump into a new pair of jeans and a few creative jobs with even more creative clients
- Turn my new opportunity into something I am proud of
- Finishing my Masters
- Finding myself again
- Leading a group for women who feel stuck or lost focused on building confidence and an action plan
Wow! Brilliant, lots of jumps! Do any of the above resonate with you? Do share!
Renowned author Arianna Huffington announced her top 13 Things To Give Up for success. From her list, I’ve selected my top 5. Here I share:
- Give up on playing it Small
- Give up on Excuses
- Give up on Perfectionism
- Give up on saying YES to things that don’t support your goals
- Give up on Toxic People
So those are mine, what’s yours? My intention is to set up an Allergic reaction every time I deviate to keep me on track. Accountability partner, I know you’ve got my back.
Remember to be successful in life you must be willing to do more, think more, and go beyond the call of duty.
This is the beginning of anything you want. So look ahead. Have a Conversation.
Dream it. Work it. Do it.
True Confession What you allow is what will continue. Maybe it’s time for a change?
It’s a Calling. Dreams come through if we let them.
Oh the joy of publishing! But before, there are the challenges. If you’re a writer, no doubt you can Relate. Here I share a few succint Compass tales that writers tell about their perspective of the joys and challenges associated with writing.
The Challenges of Writing
- Finding the Time and space to write with Peace and Quiet in tuned
- The laments of writers Block
- Deciding what to write
- The importance of Quality writing output
- The pain of rejection
The Joy of Writing
- Most enjoyable feeling when published. Words such as elated, satisfied, accomplished were voiced
- If a physical book published, a feeling of Bliss when the first printed copy is received and held
- The Achievement of set goals
- The ability to make a difference in the lives of others
Advice to New Writers
Let the New Year find you with a new resolve to write, just write.