With the rapid growth of technology and the ease with which we can obtain goods and services online, one writer asked a Customer Service Rep, “where will the cashiers go?” She replied, “I️ don’t know. I️ hope I’m dead by then”.
I️ began thinking…do we watch trends? And if we do, are we prepared for them? When things change, what do we do? Do we cry, get depressed, or give up?
Definitely not. We need to learn when to let go, and when to hold on.
Know When To Let Go
My followers know that I often refer to the fictional Ms. Havisham from the book Great Expectations. Left at the altar, she determined to remain stuck for the rest of her life. Like an Egg, she was afraid to move on. Decades later, she was still wearing her wedding dress.
Indeed sad. But how many of us are like that? We lose a contract or a job and we remain stuck, whining about the circumstances of the loss. We fall prey to a failed relationship, and we sit back for years…waiting, waiting, waiting. Someone did us wrong and we complain for the rest of our lives. We fail to realize that we are hurting only ourselves as the person has moved on and in some cases, do not even remember the circumstances.
If any of these situations pertains to you, shake it off as Tayor Swift sang. Just Shake it off. Move on. There’s more in life for you, if only you change your perspective.
Know When to Hold On
So how do you discern when to hold on? There’s a fictional cartoon of two men digging to find gold. Suddenly one hits the jackpot! The other hearing his screams of joy in the distance, turned away from his own digging despondent. Onlookers were privy to seeing what was happening, realized that if only he had continued, he would have discovered that his own jackpot was right there. But sadly he turned away, and missed a tremendous opportunity.
How many of us are like that? When the going gets rough, you give up. Acquiring degrees or certifications ain’t no easy feat. When the assignments build; when the work/life balance goes out of whack; when the child rebels, when the bills pile up, when the Panacea of sickness steps in, when an ailing parent moves in… so many give up. Only to regret it later when things change.
To those who are digging for their “goal“, I encourage you to hold on. Don’t give up. Keep plodding. You will achieve and value it more when you look back and reflect on the path you took.
Discouraged? Need help? Let’s connect. Cheers!
Assumptions close doors. Intrigue opens them – Sam Owen
As I look over the circus of things that I like, I find that they Enlighten and intrigue. I realize that though I enjoy them and they bring me satisfaction, I find myself not doing them as much as I Expect, and in some cases at all. For over two decades I have been caught up in work, work, work. So this prompt helped me pull away and ponder the things I once enjoyed, or get to enjoy on rare occasions.
But even as I finalize and Release the list, I realize that life’s not promised. So I intend to start doing the things I like now, and stop leaving them for …one day soon.
That said, the things I like are:
- People watch
- Explore the world
- Simple things
- Enjoy a good laugh
- Acting | Participating in drama presentations
- Wearing a smile
- See people mentored achieve their best potential
- Watch movies
- Write, ponder, reflect
- Decorate the house
- Go shopping
- Watch HGTV | Travel channel
- Learn new things
- Enjoy the company of my two young adult kids
- Dream of Venice | Alaska
- People watch in downtown Disney, Washington DC Parks
- Watch the waves by the beach
- Nature – stare at birds, squirrels, and circus of trees
- Christmas Lights
- Look out at the horizon from a hill or mountain
- Capturing candid photos (new experience)
- Finding a new route after getting lost in a new place (yikes!)
- Quiet time
- Solving a mystery or a problem
- New baby hugs
- Listening to that Still Small Voice Of Faith
Share any of the things listed? Can you add any?
I love movies! They inspire! Dependent on what we do and the types we like, we are inspired to do great things; to get in touch with our innermost feelings; to achieve, to believe, and so much more!
But we have to be careful.
I love the movie “The Pursuit of Happyness”. It shared the struggle of trying to achieve a goal. After going through many heartaches, hiccups, pain, loss, disappointment, and more, the main character – Will Smith’s dream came through.
I also like the movie Joy. This movie also shared story of struggles, challenges, and triumph in the end.
Most if not all of us have gone through our very own trials. Like music, movies that inspire, helps. But we have to be careful to walk away with the right message. Some make us cry, feel depressed, sad, and down. To those I ask why whallow in self-pity? That’s such a Fraud.
Watch the movies that give you ideas how to overcome challenges. How to better your best. Fill your mind with good things that will encourage you to achieve your dreams, goals, and aspirations.
Comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there.
Comfort zones…, don’t you just love ’em? I have always taken pride in the care of my skin, especially my face. I just hate it when it looks neglected. When I was 18 years old, I discovered a skincare product that worked. After migration many years ago, I would import the product because…it worked. When it became increasingly difficult for me to access the product, I embarked on a research to find a replacement product that would work as well.
In so doing I found one. Yea! Me happy! Then years later, I discovered that I couldn’t find that product!!! What the heck?! I searched Amazon (they have everything right)? Sure enough, I still couldn’t find it. Now what am I going to do? Implement the same Thorny ritual? Research to find a replacement? Just hate that!
Then I started thinking....
Don’t we just love our comfort zone? In our comfort zone we are assured of things working the way we want it. We can predict it. There are no surprizes. But…in our comfort zone is the exact place we find no growth! I wrote previously about who moved my cheese ….going to the little grocery store and finding it was sold! How dare the owners move on to something better? Yet that is exactly what I preach everyday. Though I apply it to my professional life, I tend to forget those areas associated with my personal life. The skin care product; the little grocery store; my kids growing up! Why do we have to move on? Why? Why? Why?
Our comfort zone is a beautiful place, but NOTHING Grows there! We must move on in order to grow… to reach our full potential. Is there something that you have been trying to do for years? Maybe moving on from a job that you’re sick of? A desire to get that dream home? Start a family? Going on that dream vacation? Start that business? Get that education for that dream career? Why not step out today? Connect with me and learn how I helped many others do just that. Learn how they stepped out into doing what they have always wanted to do with no regrets.
Come on, make that move right now. Just do it.
a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else.
At the start of the week I decided to do a webinar on Goal Setting. Then Hurricane Irma blew in. Evacuations, preparations, and plans to survive stepped in. To Disobey would attract serious consequences from authorities. After the hurricane passed, recovery, and rebuilding efforts were initiated in the midst of loss of electrical power, downed trees, devastations, and more. While giving thanks for life, I began feeling frustrated. My goals for the week had gone awry.
Well that’s natural disaster which does not happen very often. But what about those other times when we face distractions? We get angry, annoyed, depressed. But that doesn’t help. They may ‘comfort’ and provide a semblance of excuses, but they are no help. Here are 13 ways entrepreneurs responded on how to avoid distractions from Goal Achievement, and how to remain productive.
- Keep your eye on the goal, and realize that entertaining the distractions keep you away from the finish line
- Priorities and lists
- Do all the hard stuff first in the day
- Tune out distractions
- Get motivation from mentors
- Hunger for success helps keep focus
- Get up and do the work. Whether others do their part or not
- Being still
- Saying No to things that distract, and Yes to Focus
- Develop a routine
- Mastermind groups
- Write goals and today list. Then visualize what I want to achieve. Stay positive and grateful
- Give in because it’s a challenge. Then work extra hours to make up
What about you? How do you avoid distractions? Do share…, we would love to hear. Need help? A mentor or coach can guide you. Let’s connect.
Once a staff member fell seriously ill with a progressive disease. Apparently she hid it from most but as it progressed, it became more evident. Word finally reached me. That was when I called to tell her of the concerns raised by her co-workers. It was then that she shared her situation. It was grave… with a Crescendo of physical issues, she wouldn’t survive. I immediately jumped into action-mode to assist in the best way that I could.
In reflecting on the question “What Inspires you?” I realised that what inspires me is the ability to make a difference in the lives of others. Helping others inspires gratification. Here I share a brief synopsis from the perspective response of what inspires others.
- The random people I meet and the random conversations that take place. It’s incredible what inspiration you can find from genuinely listening to people’s stories.
- Lemon drops or just candy in general. Also pieces of jewelry but mostly necklaces. I have this sea glass necklace that’s inspired 2 stories already. If anyone needs inspiration I would suggest going downtown and just walk around and look at stuff.
- Music lyrics inspire me. Sometimes a certain sentence just sticks. Travel and nature and of course experiences .
- Daily things around me.
- Mythical creatures, music, horror stories/movies, different people I meet and talk with.
- Sparking a love of reading in kids and young adults.
- Lines of Shakespeare and Emerson. Walking in nature. Autumn and Winter inspire with the scenery and feelings they give me…old things, antique shops, bookstores, leather-bound journals, maps, Fall evenings.
- My friends, music, books, scented candles, and history
- The inner and outer universe.
- I find what if questions to be really useful.
- Love and how it compels people like Rose looking for Jack at the bottom of the ship while its sinking. That’s love.
- My weird perceptions of human nature and civilization
- Pictures, people, and most of all moments in time.
- Rain, grey skies, other art and gardens. Sometimes cats, animations or music
- Everything. There is beauty and inspiration in all different things in life
- Sound. the way you pour water into a glass, sons, the sound of the wind, the rain, etc.
- Music, love, sadness
- Struggle. Finding light in darkness
- Stephen King
- Current events
- Humans and their flaws
- Reading. Going to the bookstore.
- Button poetry
- Sweet misery
- Ice cream and rainy days
- I think nature. Happiness inspire me and says do something different for others.
- Philosophy and knowledge
- Fear of failure
- Anything creative
- Strange occurrences
What about you? What inspires you? Do share…wanna hear!
This Question was posed and received over 4K visceral responses. Some synchronized, while others…
This Question was posed by Think & Grow Prosper. It sparked my interest so I decided to read a synopsis of the over 4K Visceral responses. Some Synchronized, some humorous, while others left readers in deep thought. Here I share:
- No Apologies
- I don’t know
- God’s Journey
- Nope,Wrong Book
- Fate of Tragedies
- Where’s the Donut?
- Burnt Desires with regrets
- Journey of Mistakes
- The Chronicles of Surviving in Today’s Society
- The Endless Possibilities of a Life Lovingly Lived
- Why me?
- Wasted Years
- Don’t Have your Children 16 Years Apart and Here’s Why
- Never Ending Circle of Struggle
- And the Caterpillar Became a Butterfly
- The Great Forever
- No Limits
- From Concrete to a White Picket Fence
- Life Happens
- Hot Mess Empress
- The Conqueror of Fears
- Just Go With the Flow
- This Thang Called Life
- Still searching
- Rising from the Ashes
- This Girl Just Want to Have Fun
- My Journey to…
- Trust Me it’s Real
- Over sleeping. Over Eating. Over Thinking
- When God Has a Grip on You
- Life is a Mystery
- Peaks and Valleys
Again rather interesting question. Now it’s your turn. If your life was a book, what would your title be?