Bored with your career and wondering how to make a change in the coming year? You’re not alone. Year-end does that to most of us. It creates that sense of longing to get our goals, dreams and aspirations done, or at the very least start the steps to get there.
That said, here are 5 Things To Do To Boost Your Career and take it to the next level in 2018:
1. Update your Public Profile. That includes social media profiles if you are actively seeking a career change. Remember that ‘s where most recruiters start to zone in on their search. So take a look at your LinkedIn and other profiles to identify areas where update is/are needed.
Oh yes, most important is the need to take the steps to update your Resume . Don’t wait until an opportunity presents itself for you to start updating. If you have a personal website, you should also take the steps to update. By the way, if you are in the creative industry, having a personal website is absolutely essential. Hiring managers will set aside your application if they are not able to see examples of your work.
2. Speak with your manager. Reach out and chat with your manager/supervisor (and in some cases co-workers who work closely with you). Find out what you’re doing great, and ways you can improve. They are usually more than happy to oblige you with the information. Don’t leave this up to your company’s performance management process to get it done. These days companies at times lag with this process, which in itself is evolving.
3. Upgrade your knowledge and skills. Review industry trends. See what’s changing. Know when to let go and when to hold on. Upgrade your skills as needed.
4. Engage in Deep Reflections…are you doing what you always wanted to do? Or are you Vision bored?
5. Celebrate your Wins! No matter how small, celebrate! Go Dancing, or do whatever brings you fun! It will provide the boost to encourage you to climb higher.
So Faint not. These 5 steps will help you as you look beyond your current circumstances into the future. Be Bold! Take the next move in your career.
Need help? Let’s connect!
How Can I Reach More Clients in My Local Community?
The new entrepreneur often asks the question…”how can I reach more clients?” Marc Bowness posed the question on their behalf to gather feedback for their Interest and use. Many replied. Here are a few:
- Run local workshops. Speak to local groups (e.g. Rotary). Get involved in the Community. Joint Venture with other businesses.
- You can easily target your ideal clients locally via Facebook Ads and easily catch their attention with something that is super relevant and interesting to them.
- You can follow the blueprint of Webinars that sell. However, rather than hosting an online event, you can demonstrate your ability to help them by actually helping in a live setting.
- Get them to register for a FREE workshop in your community, then send them lots of value …#indoctrination before the event to build even more goodwill/affinity. Then remind them of why they really wanted to attend the event and what they will get out of it.
- Partner with someone who has same target market in your local area and run workshops for their clients. Facebook Ads targeting your local area to give massive value online and also to promote any workshop or event you run …maybe some gyms, mom’s groups etc
- Run meetups. Join with local council for events. Do pop ups at markets or local events. Approach schools, partner with local cafe, etc.
- Offer FREE coffee at a local cafe, then have people write their emails down. Partner with others and offer a goodie bag with other gifts and details.
- Put yourself in your ideal client’s shoes. Who are they? What problems are they trying to solve? Where do they spend their time (online/offline)? Then position yourself in these locations.
- Attend events. Ask questions. Ditch the pitch and just ask.
- Ask for business cards and have a follow-up system (write a note on the back to followup with intro)
- Don’t go to an event for the first time and offer to present. Give event host a copy of your book and ask if there is anything you can do to help them.
- Network at least once per week.
Comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there.
Comfort zones…, don’t you just love ’em? I have always taken pride in the care of my skin, especially my face. I just hate it when it looks neglected. When I was 18 years old, I discovered a skincare product that worked. After migration many years ago, I would import the product because…it worked. When it became increasingly difficult for me to access the product, I embarked on a research to find a replacement product that would work as well.
In so doing I found one. Yea! Me happy! Then years later, I discovered that I couldn’t find that product!!! What the heck?! I searched Amazon (they have everything right)? Sure enough, I still couldn’t find it. Now what am I going to do? Implement the same Thorny ritual? Research to find a replacement? Just hate that!
Then I started thinking....
Don’t we just love our comfort zone? In our comfort zone we are assured of things working the way we want it. We can predict it. There are no surprizes. But…in our comfort zone is the exact place we find no growth! I wrote previously about who moved my cheese ….going to the little grocery store and finding it was sold! How dare the owners move on to something better? Yet that is exactly what I preach everyday. Though I apply it to my professional life, I tend to forget those areas associated with my personal life. The skin care product; the little grocery store; my kids growing up! Why do we have to move on? Why? Why? Why?
Our comfort zone is a beautiful place, but NOTHING Grows there! We must move on in order to grow… to reach our full potential. Is there something that you have been trying to do for years? Maybe moving on from a job that you’re sick of? A desire to get that dream home? Start a family? Going on that dream vacation? Start that business? Get that education for that dream career? Why not step out today? Connect with me and learn how I helped many others do just that. Learn how they stepped out into doing what they have always wanted to do with no regrets.
Come on, make that move right now. Just do it.
A junior in college, my daughter felt ill while on her internship program. She called two friends to drive her back to campus. As fate would have it, they met into a serious accident significantly damaging the car.
But they were alive! Praises!
Later, I spoke with her friend (the driver) who was extremely sad and kept saying … if only…if only….
If Only…that’s a regret. Accidents happen. Life happens. Change happens. But we have to roll with the punches. Learn. Move on. To stay in a state of piety and Prickle regret while wallowing in self-pity and the ‘if only‘ syndrome, will keep us stuck…unable to move.
Today, if you are in a state where you’re frustrated because of something that has happened in your life; if you are feeling depressed, I urge you to get up, dust yourself off, and keep moving towards your goal. Do it even when you don’t feel like it. Only then will you reap the benefits of change….and as you progress… only then will you be able to smile again.
In transition and need help? Let’s connect
I went to the grocery store that’s been in the same locale for more than 10 years. As I stepped in, the Traditional Fragrance of the familiar faces was missing. Confused, I enquired, where are they? I was told that the owners sold the business and had moved to a different location for a bigger and better venture.
I felt cheated. Immediately I decided I’d go find them for… how could they do that to ‘me’?!
Then I started thinking about my own passion. Daily I encourage individuals to take the leap…, go do what you have always wanted to do. Yet here I was–feeling cheated. How dare me?
Has that ever happened to you? We love the familiar. The thing that so Harmonizes and makes us comfortable. Safe. Tranquil. At peace. When it’s gone, we feel a hollow in our life…in our soul. I reflect on the book “Who Moved My Cheese”, which became famous because of its simplicity yet profound impact. The late Spencer Johnson told the story about the Change that takes place in a maze with amusing characters as they searched for cheese. It’s metaphoric delight draws us in as we identify with the characters. Those of us who sniff, scurry, hem, and haw at the sight of change.
Today, I return to my usual self, I am thrilled that the management of that Grocery Store decided to move on. They have gone to achieve their dream. They had taken the bold step to higher heights.
Is there someone you’re blocking from achieving his/her goals? How about you? What’s your own plan for the next 3-5 years? How will you get there? Step aside and allow yourself, family, friend, or foe …(yikes!), to achieve what you/they have always wanted.
Afraid? Let’s connect!
Follow me on Instagram for Daily Motivation.
Remember the saying, if you don’t know where you want to go, any road will take you there. So, if you’re not sure, take an assessment. Stop. Don’t turn up your nose. Find one. Answer the questions correctly and it will reveal different occupations and/or direction you can take to get you on your path of interest. For example, if you Caper and like helping people, you might be suitable to become a health professional. Look at the qualifications needed.
The Grit. The Grind. The Search. Consider all your options then select one and take the necessary steps to get you where you want to go.
If you are already on the path; know where you want to go, and have the qualifications, then start your search. Look on different job search medium. Find out the salary paid, what the job fully entails, then apply.
But first! Make sure that resume is up to par. If you’re in the creative industry make sure you start a website or blog to show your work. Some employers won’t even consider you if you are not able to show samples of your work. So, find a home online (i.e. your website) and get active.
Next, write that cover letter that will show that you have actually read what the job entails. I have been floored by people who have applied to jobs that I have advertised on LinkedIn and other medium and it shows that they have not even read the job requirements to see if they meet the criteria. Let me hasten to say that sometimes you really do not meet the criteria, but I will encourage you to still apply. Sell yourself through the cover letter. Show why you would be eligible for the job though you have no experience. Who knows you may still be hired because of your attitude! Because of your potential and initiative. Take the time to share how you would apply your current skills to the job.
It’s the most devastating news! I sat across from Kate with her manager. We shared the news that today was her last day. It was nothing she had done wrong. It was simply a change in business strategies. Over 50 percent of employees had to go. Kate was one. She cried. Begged. Pleaded. She had kids, and was the sole provider. But there was nothing we could do. She had to go, as did the others. It was a Uniform strike across the board.
Have you or anyone you know ever been blindsided by such horrific news? You worked hard. You were a Natty and diligent employee who went above and beyond the call of duty. Yet, it was now your time. You wonder how you can survive. Life seems insurmountable. I am here to tell you that you can survive. Here are 7 Steps that will help to guide you through such trying times of change.
Discover The 7 Essential Steps to Busting Those Career Barriers & Land That Dream Job
1. Busting the Fear (New Mindset)
2. Refocus: Your Brand Their View (CV/LinkedIn Profile & More)
3. Job Search: Apply the Right Techniques
4. Ace That Interview!
5. The Aftermath (what to do while waiting)
6. Happy Landing (The Job)
7. Acclimated (Settling in the New Role)
If these steps resonate and you need help getting started, let’s connect today. Download the full details of the 7 Steps to Busting Career Barriers as you ride the waves and Blossom to a new mindset to land that new and exciting dream role!
Follow me on Instagram for Daily Motivation
If someone you know who left town 10 years ago returned today, how would they find you? Lukewarm? Would you still be living in the same place? House the same color? Furniture in the same place? Would you be in the same job? Same career? Eating the same? Dressing the same? Would you still be…….(fill in the blank).
Something to think about. Change is good.