Bored with your career and wondering how to make a change in the coming year? You’re not alone. Year-end does that to most of us. It creates that sense of longing to get our goals, dreams and aspirations done, or at the very least start the steps to get there.
That said, here are 5 Things To Do To Boost Your Career and take it to the next level in 2018:
1. Update your Public Profile. That includes social media profiles if you are actively seeking a career change. Remember that ‘s where most recruiters start to zone in on their search. So take a look at your LinkedIn and other profiles to identify areas where update is/are needed.
Oh yes, most important is the need to take the steps to update your Resume . Don’t wait until an opportunity presents itself for you to start updating. If you have a personal website, you should also take the steps to update. By the way, if you are in the creative industry, having a personal website is absolutely essential. Hiring managers will set aside your application if they are not able to see examples of your work.
2. Speak with your manager. Reach out and chat with your manager/supervisor (and in some cases co-workers who work closely with you). Find out what you’re doing great, and ways you can improve. They are usually more than happy to oblige you with the information. Don’t leave this up to your company’s performance management process to get it done. These days companies at times lag with this process, which in itself is evolving.
3. Upgrade your knowledge and skills. Review industry trends. See what’s changing. Know when to let go and when to hold on. Upgrade your skills as needed.
4. Engage in Deep Reflections…are you doing what you always wanted to do? Or are you Vision bored?
5. Celebrate your Wins! No matter how small, celebrate! Go Dancing, or do whatever brings you fun! It will provide the boost to encourage you to climb higher.
So Faint not. These 5 steps will help you as you look beyond your current circumstances into the future. Be Bold! Take the next move in your career.
Need help? Let’s connect!