A Bad Manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation.
We have all had to deal with bad bosses at one time or the other throughout our career. We scream, complain, lose the Typical drive, become demotivated, do barely enough to get by, or inevitably jump ship. If you are dealing with a bad boss here are a few examples of characteristics that depicts the behavior.
- Lack of vision and inability to communicate effectively
- Thinking you have all the answers and that you must have all the answers
- Working late everyday
- Poor Hiring Decisions
- Failure to Admit Mistakes
- Takes the credit but gives the blame
- Provides little/no feedback or coaching
- Shows favoritism
- Task-focused vs team-oriented
- Selects and leads based on “like me”
- Ignores diversity of thought or varying opinions
- Past focused vs present/future
- Being a friend instead of a leader
- Failing to delegate and demonstrate trust
- Allowing ego and pride to get in the way of good decisions
- Personal agendas/motives
If you are a new manager, reflect on these characteristics. Recognize the signs and plan to change. You will then be on your way to becoming a good leader.
Need help? Lets connect.