What do I need to write my first book? That is the question I am often asked. After researching the topics of leadership and Success, I published over 6 non-fiction books, people figure that I am doing something right. Here I share 11 tips for beginners interested in starting their own Writing Journey
Aspiring Authors Writing Tips
- Write. Keep writing.
- Read a lot so you understand how others do what they do
- Be yourself. Tell the story
- It takes a lot of sacrifice so keep going.
- Start writing. Just keep writing. Stand at a bus stop, look at a fence and …write. Sit in a cafe, get yourself a drink and write about the next person who walks through the door – not his description… but his life story, his family, his job. Just write
- Read the classics and discover why they are rated so highly
- If you don’t know what to write or have writers block, use writing prompts to get those creative juices flowing.
- Don’t shy away from criticism. Being critiqued doesn’t always feel amazing, but it always makes you a better writer. Every time someone tells you what they think of your manuscript, you get closer to an objective understand of your work, which is invaluable
- Don’t worry about perfection when you are writing your first draft. Good writing is re-writing
- Believe in yourself.
- Never give up.
Good luck as you start your journey.