Derrick has been frustrated in his job as manager of operations. He has been at it for years but his job has lost its zeal. He could apply for the Branch Manager’s position but he wasn’t sure he had what it takes to manage the responsibilities. Besides, he has been thinking about following his passion for design and wants to launch out into his own business. But the sense of Qualm he feels has put him in a state of inertia. He has been afraid that he might fail.
Many are the dreams of people like Derrick. The fear is real but like I’ve always said…feel the fear but do it anyway! Damon Johns, Business Executive of Shark Tank asked the question: “if you had a piece of advice for someone just starting out, what would it be?” People all over boldly shared their views. Because Collaboration is key, I’ve compiled a list extracted from their direct responses. Choose one, two or a few, and apply as you like.
Advice for New Entrepreneurs
- Cashflow is king. Make sure you’ve got cash in the bank to ensure you’re covered for not pulling a wage in the early days
- Work on yourself to know what you’re doing very well. Be persistent and consistent.
- Document every step of your journey, no matter how trivial you think it may be. The data you think is not important today, may prove to be invaluable tomorrow.
- Money talks.
- All progress not saved will be lost.
- Always find reasons and new motivations to keep going at it.
- If you hang around 9 people that are ‘broke’, chances are…you’re going to be number 10.
- Its rough… I mean really rough. Stick to it and take the bumps in stride.
- Do something you love so you never work a day in your life.
- Doing what you love and are great at-is the easy part. Mind the business with equal effort or you’re doomed. Marketing, networking etc. and don’t ever forget … never play it safe. Take risks, and go after it.
- Work hard. Focus and be unreasonable. This is what creates discipline and growth.
- Don’t get so busy that you forget to say your prayers.
- Value yourself, believe in you when no one else will. Right before you quit, try one more time with a different plan of action. Always be true to yourself and others. Make time for fun, not all work.
- It’s not going to be easy but know that with paitence and persistence it will happen. Be around the people going in the same direction that you want to go.
- Never give up. Fight for your dreams.
- Just be yourself. Don’t try to do what everyone else is doing just because everyone esle is doing it. The business model that works for others might not work for you. Being an entrpreneur is your chance to do it just the way you want to!
- To work at it every waking hour.
- Say the phrase…finish it.
- Believe in yourself and take risks.
- Best advice I learned from running my company is it’s ok to be a bitch sometimes. Clients and customers will treat you with respect sometimes. Other times they run all over you taking advantage of your kindness. Balance is key. Ya gotta know when to put your foot down and look people in the eye with “that look” and speak your true mind instead of putting on the “professional front” through their bullshit.
- Stay laser focused on the goal even if your strategy isn’t perfect yet. Make progress daily.
- Keep going.
- To start.
- Find someone that has something you want. Do what they do and you will get what they got.
- Start …like the end doesn’t matter.
- A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.
So that’s the list. Different opinions but great diversity. Are there a few that resonates with you? Anything missing that you could add? Take a look again and if you’re still busy dreaming…start doing today!
Need help? Let’s connect!
Follow me on instagram for daily motivation.
One thought on “Stepping Out Into The New: Advice for New Entrepreneurs…”