Ever wanted to write? Ever wondered how other writers got started? What’s their Funnel? We are intrigued by writing veterans the likes of Stephen King, and countless others. Many wannabe writers are scared to take the leap. So it was with a breath of fresh air that the writing tips asked the question about how writers got started. Intrigued, I dug deeply. Here I share excerpts of some of their thoughts.
- I hid in my words starting at 10 to hide from the pain
- My cousin said that I looked like someone who writes poetry. So I gave it a try, and fell in love with it.
- I always loved reading and wanted to create stories. Then my parents took me to see the dolphins when I was 8 or 9 years old, and I wrote my first story about this adventure. After this I feel in love with writing because sometimes the stories we create or even just a part of them can become true.
- I was 5 years old and wrote about a superhero
- I didn’t want to do my math homework but still wanted to look like I was being productive, and that’s how I’ve written about two books.
- I had a dream and wanted to make a story out of it
- I can’t remember a time I haven’t been writing! Before I could write I drew the pictures and told my parents what to write
- What really pushed me into writing other than school assignment was role-playing
- When I was younger I had a speech impediment the only way I could truly talk was through writing. Still to this day I write better than I can talk.
- My baby sitter wrote stories about the group of kids from our neighborhood who were superheroes. I loved listening to her read them, my love of reading and writing was born, I was 3-4 years old
- My siblings and I used to create the most intricate imaginary games. As I got older, I began wanting to write them down. I haven’t stopped.
- A sixth grade narrative assignment. Upon handing it back, my teacher said I had talent and could make it as a writer. I was speechless.
- So I could be right-brained in school while looking like I’m working on my assignments
- I started when I was mentally at a shitty place and needed an outlet to how I was feeling. Writing became my therapy. It healed me.
Are you a writer? Let’s hear how you got started.