Peter Drucker was wise when he said there is nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency, something that should not be done at all.
Across from her I stood. Watching as she carefully arranged the papers for delivery. Unknown to her was the intrepid fact that her department would be cut the next day. No amount of hard work could Criticize or change that fact. Decades ago who would ever have thought that society would change. Newspapers were no longer being read by the mass and the company had to cut back. Sad as it was the staff had to be reduced to save what little of the company that could be salvaged to its new online medium.
Peter Drucker was wise when he said there is nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency, something that should not be done at all. Tempted? Let’s examine our lives today. What are we doing so well that should not be done at all? Is it taking a course that you Insist but is no longer recognized and when you graduate you are left out in the cold? Is it staying within your comfort zone in a job that has no room for growth, or worse …almost redundant? Lest we get more personal …is it pursuing a relationship that no longer makes sense?
Be Wise. Look around you. Examine the trends and do only what makes sense for your future self.
Harland Sanders founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken started his franchise business at the age of 65! That is retirement!
It is never too late to start.
Harland Sanders founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken started his franchise business at the age of 65! That is retirement! Who would have thought that someone could venture out doing something so magnificent at that age? I am sure he was hesistant about this dream. But he did it anyway, and you know what? It became a huge success many, many years after he’s gone.
We also name others like John Pemberton who started Coca-Cola at the age of 55. Ray Kroc who started McDonalds at age 52. Craig Newmark founded CraigsList at 42, and Robert Noyce founded Intel at 41!
These are just a few of society’s household names that ventured out into the unknown late in their life. So today if you are feeling overwhelmed and feel you are in a mid-life crisis in your 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s, reflect on these individuals who achieved big things. It proves that we can accomplish anything that we set our minds to no matter the stage in life.
Reflect deeply. Be comforted. Age is just a number. Be patient. Remain Calm. Plan, put your plans into action, cry privately if you must, but never, ever give up! Remember…it’s never too late to start.
Cheers to your success!
You may also like:
Make that Move Right Now…
Want to Succeed? Here’s How
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.
— Wayne Gretsky
- Begin with the end in mind. — Stephen Covey
- A year from now you may wish you had started today. ― Karen Lamb
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there. — Theodore Roosevelt
- A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. — Bo Bennett
- You haven’t failed until you quit trying. — Anonymous
- People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going. — Earl Nightingale
- Goals are dreams with deadlines. ― Diana Scharf
- Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. Most of all, other people can’t stop you. Only you can stop you. — Jeffrey Gitomer
- One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves. — Karen Casey
- Many people fail in life, not for lack of ability or brains or even courage but simply because they have never organized their energies around a goal. — Elbert Hubbard
- Life’s problems wouldn’t be called ‘hurdles’ if there wasn’t a way to get over them. — Author Unknown
- I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. — Jimmy Dean
- You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will. – Stephen King
- Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.” — Napoleon Hill
- If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life that you want, you’re going to spend a lot of time dealing with a life you don’t want.” — Kevin Ngo
- You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretsky
- Don’t let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you’re crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you’re lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you’re greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn’t understand.” — Robert G Allen
- God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them. — Author Unknown
- Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer to your goal. — Elbert Hubbard
- Any unforeseen challenges that crop up are only there to test your resolve on your way to ultimate success in reaching your goal. — Byron Pulsifer
- I don’t care how much power, brilliance or energy you have, if you don’t harness it and focus it on a specific target, and hold it there you’re never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants. — Zig Ziglar
- Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. — Dennis DeYoung
- If you’re bored with life — you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things — you don’t have enough goals. — Lou Holtz
- You can conquer almost any fear if you will make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. — Dale Carnegie
- Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it. –Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Missing anything? Start today.
Inspiration ….being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
You want it? You’ve got it! What a feeling! To dream, to believe, to strive, to achieve! Exhilating…. oh yes it is!
How often we aspire to achieve but find there is an Agile disconnect between getting from where we are and where we want to be. Our Sated goals for self-actualization appear Undulated and far-fetched. We feel stalled, lethargic, demotivated, stretched like Elastic. We can’t seem to defy the odds. We beat up ourselves because of our liminal progress.
That’s where positive self-talk comes into play. To get moving. To feel inspired to be creative. To do something different. We can do this through travel, exploration, positive thinking, afilliation with progressive people, through reading, music, and more.
Songs stimulate our desire to achieve. Here are 10 to get you going.
10 Songs That Stimulate Achievement
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Aint no mountain high enough – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
- Don’t stop believin – Journey
- Stronger (What doesn’t kill makes you stronger) – Kelly Clarkson
- What a feeling – Irene Cara
- Imagine – John Lennon
- Stand by Me – Ben E. King
- Don’t Worry about a Thing – Bob Marley
- Heal the World – Michael Jackson
- You Raise Me Up – Josh Groben
Add your favs to the list!
You may also like Destinations That Inspire, Success: 8 Books That Inspire
Maria Rodriquez arrived in the United States with her family when she was 12 years old. Her parents left her at home to care for her little brother while they went off in pursuit of the American dream. She was from Cuba, the largest island in the Caribbean, where her parents left all they had as an escape. Countless days and nights were spent fighting for a better life. Maria was fair, so her ethnicity was always mistaken. But her inability to speak the language left many confused. After graduating from high school, she went to college then dropped out because she got married. But pregnancy changed her life. She promised her unborn son that she would make sure he had the best life. That promise resulted in her reenrollment in college, where she decided to study journalism. She later captured one of the top spots in the field. Maria now manages one of the country’s top media stations.
What Does Success Look Like?
So, what does success look like? How does it feel? Does it follow the pattern of the movie The Pursuit of Happyness? More specifically, what does it take to be successful? Can anyone achieve success? Is it limited to only the rich and famous? These questions have been asked by many individuals who have a desire to become successful―to achieve their dreams, hopes and aspirations.
Success means getting what a person wants with rewards that are sustainable for individuals and those for whom they care.
Success though Elicited, is not always linear. To be clear, let’s define success. The term success refers to the attainment of wealth, position, and honors. More importantly, success means different things to different people. Essentially, it means getting what a person wants with rewards that are sustainable for individuals and those for whom they care. Fereshteh Amin shared components of her research about high achievers:
Success that encompasses all four kinds of accomplishments is more enriching and lasting.
So what does Success mean to you? Do share.
I saw them. Without missing a beat I ran as fast as I could. Left everything behind. The Brothers! Yes the property brothers from HGTV! Two of my favorite guys! Been planning for months to meet them at the Miami Book Fair but due to my commitment as Author and Exhibitor, I had to stay put.
Then suddenly I saw them walking to their assignment as Guest Speakers! Immediately I ceased the opportunity! I ran, introduced myself amidst the Aromatic security presence! Against all odds…It worked. Yeaaa!
Chase Your Dream
Dreams are like that. They don’t wait for us. When they appear, you’ve gotta run! Go after them! Leave everything and cease the opportunity. Sometimes you plan but plans fall through or show up in different ways. For such moments we must keep our eyes wide open. Be aware. Focus. Then we are able to recognize the opportunity no matter the shape form or style it shows up in.
Opportunity…cease it today.
Find what drives you. Go after it
“Acting is a cool way to bring in multiple worlds the way others have….Barbra Streisand, Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones: That’s my mix….I am dying to do some scoring. When the right thing comes along, I’ll do that for film and theater. I don’t like to do what everybody else does [clothing, perfume, etc.]. It has to be something I can do with a twist, something special. If it’s something average, I don’t want to do it.” – Alicia Keys
Success is the attainment of wealth, honors, and the like. It’s not mythical. But it’s important to define it for ourselves. That’s a privilege that you should retain only for you. Consider Alicia Keys ….she wants to do something with a twist, something special. That’s what drives her to succeed.
So find what drives you and go after it. We can all achieve success provided we put in the hard work. It’s that simple….and that’s why its often hard. If you have the passion, the vigour, the zeal, and the strength to persist, you will achieve. Need help? Success Strategies Workbook can be your compass. Get your copy and begin your journey right now.
If you are an aspiring Entrepreneur or Careerist feeling overwhelmed, discouraged, or stressed, this Companion Workbook is for you. It provides exercises, activities, and assessments designed to help on your personal learning journey to accomplish your dreams, goals, and aspirations. As you engage in deep reflections, you will learn more about yourself, and apply the skills necessary to drive your success.
Success Strategies Workbook
This Easy-to-Use Workbook will help you to:
- Become Motivated to Achieve your Goals
- Define what Success Means to you
- Build your Self-Confidence through understanding your Leadership Skills
- Take charge of your personal development, life goals, and career path
- Be inspired to change and share your success with others.
Get your copy on Amazon or contact me and begin the steps to your success today.
It’s almost the end of the year! Just two more months to go! Already the Holiday commercials are out in full swing! Not to mention Hallmark Christmas movies that share the longings, celebration, and joys of the season. Jolly that!
For me I love the beautiful Christmas lights! The cool weather! And the smiles that captivate even the Grinch at this time of the year. Sigh….
Goals: Where Are You Now?
But…as we stride into smiles of long shopping lists for business associates, colleagues, friends, and family, let’s pause and remember something very important…our Goals. What were the goals set for this year? Have you achieved them? Are you close to completing? Take a moment and reflect.
A Goal is something that you are trying to do or achieve
No matter where you are on your journey…pause and reflect. Don’t be hard on yourself if you are not as close as you would like….or haven’t started (yikes)! Play catch-up. Remember, a goal is something that you are trying to do or achieve.
In the next 2 months, update your goal to see what you can get done before the year is out. Call it short term, but make it count. Do not wait until next year…that’s a fallacy. To procrastinate is to give excuses. Don’t be a Copycat like others…set a short term goal and get it done now. You won’t regret it.
Be bold. Share your thoughts on where you are on your journey. One of the key steps in reaching your goal is to write it down. Sharing it makes it an open commitment that will help you on your journey, and by the way it’s not too early to start your plans for 2017.
So be bold! Share here since we’re all in the same boat.
Giant…of very great size or force
Face your Giant.
What’s going on in your life that seems like a giant? Is it a career decision? A conflict on the job? A conflict at home with your spouse, kids or loved ones? When you ponder your future, does it look bleak? Well it does not have to be.
Fight the Good Fight
Oft we hide our pain. We brush it under carpets. We smile when deep down we are hurting. Today be encouraged. Step out despite your fear, your tear, your troubling heart. Dig deep inside your soul and you will find the strength you need to fight the good fight; to face what lies ahead…to conquer your giant with faith.