Tis the Season. I hear the sounds of the waves A-Calling. It’s getting louder. Now shouting for some well needed time to relax. Time to rejuvenate. It’s time to listen to the waves. It’s Time for quiet, peace, and serenity. I hear Footsteps of the waves a-calling.
Do you hear it too?
I️ received a call with an enquiry about the holidays, and time off. No doubt a pain for employers and an avid desire for team…
I️ received a call from a business owner about time off during the holidays. “Everyone wants to take time off at the same time. What’s the best way to handle this during the holidays?” she Dubiously asked.
Time off during the holidays can be a Riff issue for employers, and an emotional desire for team members. Employers fear absence will impact business results. Meeting the demand often prove overwhelming for small business owners who operate in the hospitality, retail, and other industries that service holiday needs.
On the other hand, employees wish to spend time with family, especially those visiting from out-of-town. Let’s not forget the busy preparations involved, amidst the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
So how can we balance the two? You don’t have to be mean about it. I concur with Kim Scott’s recommendation on the topic. Here’s my take on the issue.
- The Balancing Act. Try the trade-off. Employees know the drill. Share holiday coverage needs and let them work it out amongst themselves. Only step-in if you absolutely must.
- Comp days. Give them half/full day off at less demanding times. You will find this works very well, and shows compassion to those who must work.
- Flex-Basket. Try a flex-basket of Goodies from which they can choose. This would include a selection of delights such as lunch, dinner, drinks, partnership with vendors for relaxation/rejuvenation goodies (e.g. mani/pedi, movie tickets, etc.). Believe me, this works wonders.
So there you have it! Three simple tips that will bring delight to your team, and smooth your business over the stressful holidays.
Noticed anything missing that you would add to best manage this issue during the holidays? Do share!
there’s always the Grinch but they’re just a few, so let’s not let them spoil it for us too.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Christmas! The Holidays! Whatever you call it… to me its the most wonderful time of the year! People are kind, joyful, generous, smiling, pretty-all dressed up for those office parties, and family gatherings! There’s sumptuous food, Folly jolly chocolate delights, gifts and so much more! Yes, I know there’s always the Grinch but they’re just a few, so let’s not let them spoil it for us too.
Music of the Season
The season kicks off with holiday music… and today I would love to share them all! Hey, I’m just kidding! I will just share 11 of my favs!
- All I want want for Christmas is you (Mariah Carey)
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year (Andy Williams)
- Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives)
- Feliz Navidad (Jose Feliciano)
- Mary did you know (Pentatonix)
- Silent Night (Temptations)
- Last Christmas (Bing Crosby)
- Let it Snow (Dean Martin)
- This Christmas (Chris Brown)
- You’re a mean one Mr. Grinch (Thurl Ravenscroft)
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas (Johnny Mathis)
Am I missing any of your personal favs? Do Share!