“The most important thing …is not winning but taking part;
The essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well”
Got Big Goals? Don’t be afraid? Just do it. Big goals stretch us. The journey of reaching for them builds our stamina, our resilience. We find out things about ourselves that we never knew existed. Along the path we encourage others with the spirit to never-give- up. When the odds are against us, we learn to bounce back. Our desire to achieve and it’s in the trek that we find ourselves. We find who we are. We discover others and things that distract that we must negate from our lives. Fishing out people who discourage us, we would do well to keep at a distance.
So let’s remember that the essential thing in life is not conquering but …let us fight well.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.
— Wayne Gretsky
- Begin with the end in mind. — Stephen Covey
- A year from now you may wish you had started today. ― Karen Lamb
- Believe you can and you’re halfway there. — Theodore Roosevelt
- A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. — Bo Bennett
- You haven’t failed until you quit trying. — Anonymous
- People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going. — Earl Nightingale
- Goals are dreams with deadlines. ― Diana Scharf
- Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. Most of all, other people can’t stop you. Only you can stop you. — Jeffrey Gitomer
- One part at a time, one day at a time, we can accomplish any goal we set for ourselves. — Karen Casey
- Many people fail in life, not for lack of ability or brains or even courage but simply because they have never organized their energies around a goal. — Elbert Hubbard
- Life’s problems wouldn’t be called ‘hurdles’ if there wasn’t a way to get over them. — Author Unknown
- I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. — Jimmy Dean
- You can, you should, and if you’re brave enough to start, you will. – Stephen King
- Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.” — Napoleon Hill
- If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life that you want, you’re going to spend a lot of time dealing with a life you don’t want.” — Kevin Ngo
- You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretsky
- Don’t let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you’re crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you’re lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you’re greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn’t understand.” — Robert G Allen
- God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow into them. — Author Unknown
- Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer to your goal. — Elbert Hubbard
- Any unforeseen challenges that crop up are only there to test your resolve on your way to ultimate success in reaching your goal. — Byron Pulsifer
- I don’t care how much power, brilliance or energy you have, if you don’t harness it and focus it on a specific target, and hold it there you’re never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants. — Zig Ziglar
- Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. — Dennis DeYoung
- If you’re bored with life — you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things — you don’t have enough goals. — Lou Holtz
- You can conquer almost any fear if you will make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. — Dale Carnegie
- Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it. –Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Missing anything? Start today.
Look closely. What do you see? Look again.
That inner feeling that quietly tugs at your heart. Look closely. Listen quietly. You will hear. Les Brown promoted the saying that the grave is filled with dreams that were never realized.
For years my mom wanted to write her story. She wrote on notepads, pieces of paper, then typewriter, then started reaching for the computer. A journey that lasted decades throughout her life. A journey that was never to be fulfilled. My sister too-like a Martyr stricken by the ravishes of cancer, dreamed of telling her story but like my mom, she too passed away with it in her heart quietly waiting. She accomplished much yet still had that silent dream that was never fulfilled.
Today I write to inspire you, you, and you to go after your dreams, goals and aspirations. Make them real before it’s too late. Don’t wait until the new year…start today. Look back. Reflect. Connect the dots. Create that driving vision. Then Act. It does not have to be perfect. Just start the journey today before it all Vanish.
If you know the why, you will find the how. What does that mean?
Why do you do what you do? Is it for money? For fame? Love? To make a contribution to society? To leave a legacy?
Finding the how is not as difficult as we make it. In this instance HOW means to create a desired result. This means different things to different people. Some believe the how is too hard. They do not have that Culture of discipline to accomplish their goals. On the other hand there are those who have the drive, the will, the passion to forge ahead no matter what comes their way.
In the movie Castaway, actor Tom Hanks played the role of being shipwrecked on an island waiting to be rescued. After years of waiting, he remembered his why. He wanted to survive to return to his beloved wife. Her picture kept him going throughout his tragic circumstances.
Similarly in the movie Everest, climbers reached the top and were elated but encountered setbacks on descent through severe weather conditions. Their why was to reach the top. Once that was done, in the midst of setbacks all but one froze into non existence because the how was beyond their natural scope.
Vigors of Success…
How many of us walk around alive but frozen? We meander doing daily tasks, attending to work needs, family responsibilities, and more but miss the very essence of our ‘why’. As we approach the end of another year, it might be wise to Stop. Take the time to reflect on your ‘why’. Why do you do what you do? What makes you tick? What provides that zeal…that passion to forge ahead when the going gets tough?
Only then you will be able understand your how. Today, look back on your journey. Are you still on the right path? Connect the dots and move forward to achieve your dreams, goals and aspirations.
You May also like
So What Does Success Look Like?
It’s Your Choice: Attempt Great Things
Take the First Step because if you never step out you will never know what could have been
Don’t let your success go to your head, and don’t let your failures go to your heart
Talented Will Smith shares his Vigors of Success. A great collection by Evan Carmichael. Which resonates with you? Mine is Take the First Step because if you never step out you will never know what could have been. The Pungent possibilities are endless.
Here are Will Smith’s vigors of Success:
- Where you are isn’t where you are going to be
- Make a choice
- have a purpose
- Be Great
- Don’t be outworked
- Work on your Skills
- Let Fear Motivate you
- Be amazing at what you do
- Don’t listen to the little man
Which resonates with you? Do share.
You may also like
Don’t Stop Believin…10 Songs That Inspire…
So What Does Success Look Like?
Inspiration ….being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
You want it? You’ve got it! What a feeling! To dream, to believe, to strive, to achieve! Exhilating…. oh yes it is!
How often we aspire to achieve but find there is an Agile disconnect between getting from where we are and where we want to be. Our Sated goals for self-actualization appear Undulated and far-fetched. We feel stalled, lethargic, demotivated, stretched like Elastic. We can’t seem to defy the odds. We beat up ourselves because of our liminal progress.
That’s where positive self-talk comes into play. To get moving. To feel inspired to be creative. To do something different. We can do this through travel, exploration, positive thinking, afilliation with progressive people, through reading, music, and more.
Songs stimulate our desire to achieve. Here are 10 to get you going.
10 Songs That Stimulate Achievement
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Aint no mountain high enough – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
- Don’t stop believin – Journey
- Stronger (What doesn’t kill makes you stronger) – Kelly Clarkson
- What a feeling – Irene Cara
- Imagine – John Lennon
- Stand by Me – Ben E. King
- Don’t Worry about a Thing – Bob Marley
- Heal the World – Michael Jackson
- You Raise Me Up – Josh Groben
Add your favs to the list!
You may also like Destinations That Inspire, Success: 8 Books That Inspire
Maria Rodriquez arrived in the United States with her family when she was 12 years old. Her parents left her at home to care for her little brother while they went off in pursuit of the American dream. She was from Cuba, the largest island in the Caribbean, where her parents left all they had as an escape. Countless days and nights were spent fighting for a better life. Maria was fair, so her ethnicity was always mistaken. But her inability to speak the language left many confused. After graduating from high school, she went to college then dropped out because she got married. But pregnancy changed her life. She promised her unborn son that she would make sure he had the best life. That promise resulted in her reenrollment in college, where she decided to study journalism. She later captured one of the top spots in the field. Maria now manages one of the country’s top media stations.
What Does Success Look Like?
So, what does success look like? How does it feel? Does it follow the pattern of the movie The Pursuit of Happyness? More specifically, what does it take to be successful? Can anyone achieve success? Is it limited to only the rich and famous? These questions have been asked by many individuals who have a desire to become successful―to achieve their dreams, hopes and aspirations.
Success means getting what a person wants with rewards that are sustainable for individuals and those for whom they care.
Success though Elicited, is not always linear. To be clear, let’s define success. The term success refers to the attainment of wealth, position, and honors. More importantly, success means different things to different people. Essentially, it means getting what a person wants with rewards that are sustainable for individuals and those for whom they care. Fereshteh Amin shared components of her research about high achievers:
Success that encompasses all four kinds of accomplishments is more enriching and lasting.
So what does Success mean to you? Do share.
I saw them. Without missing a beat I ran as fast as I could. Left everything behind. The Brothers! Yes the property brothers from HGTV! Two of my favorite guys! Been planning for months to meet them at the Miami Book Fair but due to my commitment as Author and Exhibitor, I had to stay put.
Then suddenly I saw them walking to their assignment as Guest Speakers! Immediately I ceased the opportunity! I ran, introduced myself amidst the Aromatic security presence! Against all odds…It worked. Yeaaa!
Chase Your Dream
Dreams are like that. They don’t wait for us. When they appear, you’ve gotta run! Go after them! Leave everything and cease the opportunity. Sometimes you plan but plans fall through or show up in different ways. For such moments we must keep our eyes wide open. Be aware. Focus. Then we are able to recognize the opportunity no matter the shape form or style it shows up in.
Opportunity…cease it today.
Find what drives you. Go after it
“Acting is a cool way to bring in multiple worlds the way others have….Barbra Streisand, Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones: That’s my mix….I am dying to do some scoring. When the right thing comes along, I’ll do that for film and theater. I don’t like to do what everybody else does [clothing, perfume, etc.]. It has to be something I can do with a twist, something special. If it’s something average, I don’t want to do it.” – Alicia Keys
Success is the attainment of wealth, honors, and the like. It’s not mythical. But it’s important to define it for ourselves. That’s a privilege that you should retain only for you. Consider Alicia Keys ….she wants to do something with a twist, something special. That’s what drives her to succeed.
So find what drives you and go after it. We can all achieve success provided we put in the hard work. It’s that simple….and that’s why its often hard. If you have the passion, the vigour, the zeal, and the strength to persist, you will achieve. Need help? Success Strategies Workbook can be your compass. Get your copy and begin your journey right now.