A vision without a strategy remains an illusion.Lee Bolman
Camilia laughed and laughed out loud as she sat watching reels on her social media channel. She then slumped down, placed her head in her hands as the tears began to flow. The pandemic had done a number on her and she was now at her wits end because she needed to get back to work. Oh what could she do? The daily depression had set in as her bills piled high.
Many are in similar situations as Camilia and that’s where the Today’s Show article titled 10 Tips on getting back into the workforce with ‘returnships’ becomes applicable. Of the 10 strategies, I’ll list my top 5 favorite which is key to your getting back into the peace of mind that a meaningful job brings.
5 Strategies To Help You Get Back To Work
- Define what What Success Means to you. This is very important. Like I have always said “if you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there” and who knows where you will end up. The book Ditch it Switch it shares several sample definitions of successful leaders that you can either adopt or tweak to suit your situation.
- Dedicate Time in one, two or three hour blocks. As a coach to aspiring authors that is exactly what I preach. A book is written over time and not all at once. In the same way it is important to plan your path and map out what you would like to get done to prepare for that job. Is it research on top companies in your area? Is it that you would like a career change and you are unsure of the type of job that you would like to get into? Do you need to upskill? These are some of the things that you need to consider in order to get to your desired end goal
- Network. Network. Network. Can’t say that enough. Alert people in your network to the fact that you are on the hunt. Combine that with online networking groups and you will be surprised at what turns up for you.
- Fill your cup first. Here Tami Foreman -the author. speaks to self-care. Job search does take it’s toll especially when you don’t receive the ‘yes‘ that you want. You may find these self-care tips helpful
- Take Risks and be Persistent. I have always maintained to go after what you desire. Let them turn you down. Do not self-reject.
Whatever you do, be consistent and serious about it. You will find with consistency comes reward if you don’t give up.
What are your top tip(s) that you would like to share with someone getting back into the workforce after being out of work for some time? Do share, we would love to hear!